- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or whipped cream cheese
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6-8 small arugula leaves, washed & patted dry
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, unflavored, toasted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice each tomato to obtain 1/2-inch thick slices from the widest portion of the tomato, making sure to avoid the core.
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise on one half of the tomato slices.
- Top each with an onion slice, arugula leaf and a second slice of tomato.
- Dip each sandwich into the beaten egg mixture and then the bread crumbs.
- Gently shake off any excess bread crumbs.
- Set sandwiches aside.
- In a large heavy sauté pan, warm the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Slip each sandwich into the pan and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove and serve immediately.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!