- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 5 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, drained
- 1 whole turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a saucepan, sauté celery and onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in thyme and poultry seasoning.
- In a large bowl, combine stuffing, raisins and celery mixture.
- Add broth and cherries; toss to mix.
- Loosely stuff turkey just before baking.
- Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Brush with oil.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing.
- Baste occasionally with pan drippings.
- Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey.
- If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
- Yield: 10-12 servings (6 cups stuffing).
- Editor’s Note: The stuffing may be prepared as directed and baked separately in a greased 2-quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!