Twice-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Hot Honey
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams, scrubbed (about 3 pounds)
- 1 Fresno or other red chiles, thinly slice
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Poke holes all over sweet potatoes and wrap each in foil.
- Place on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and roast until potatoes are tender, 60–70 minutes (if you have one, use a cake tester to poke right through foil). Unwrap and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°F.
- Meanwhile, combine chile, honey, and butter in a small saucepan; season with salt. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Smash sweet potatoes with your palm, then tear into bite-sized pieces (including skin), the more irregular, the better.
- Place in a large bowl and add half of hot honey (do not include chile as it will burn); season with salt.
- Arrange pieces, skin side down, in a single layer on an unlined rimmed baking sheet and roast until browned and crisp around the edges, 20–25 minutes.
- Drizzle with remaining hot honey with chile.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!