FSA Andy: No one likes paperwork, but don’t miss key farm program deadlines


Hello again!

January is proving to be interesting! I think even my thermostat is confused. We are getting rain, snow, rain and snow, freezing, thawing, and this morning… lightning! I guess even bad weather gives us an opportunity for something, so look at this bad weather a perfect opportunity to get all your paperwork completed at the FSA office for the upcoming year.

Here a few reminders of program deadlines that are coming up very quickly and just some routine reminders.

LDPs for Wool and Unshorn Lamb Pelts: Eligible producers have until Jan. 31 to apply for Loan Deficiency Payments (LDP) for wool and unshorn pelts produced during the 2011 crop year. Eligible producers must have beneficial interest in the wool and pelts, owned the lamb for at least 30 calendar days before the date of slaughter and sell the unshorn lamb for immediate slaughter.

Producers must also comply with wetland conservation and highly erodible land conservation provisions on all lands they operate or have interest in.

To qualify for payment, pelts must have been produced by an eligible producer from live unshorn lambs of domestic origin in the United States.

Grasslands Reserve Program: The Ohio Farm Service Agency is accepting applications for the 2012 Grassland Reserve Program through Jan. 31, for applicants to submit offers for GRP easement and GRP rental contracts. The GRP is a jointly administered program between FSA and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).

The purpose of GRP is to assist landowners and operators to protect grazing uses and related conservation values by conserving and restoring grassland resources on eligible private lands. Eligible land includes privately owned grazing lands, land located in an area that historically has be dominated by grassland, or grassland that has the potential to serve as wildlife habitat of significant ecological value.

Incidental lands may be included to allow for the efficient administration of a rental contract or easement.

Landowners and producers are encouraged to contact qualified personnel at their local USDA Service Center to assist in answering any questions on GRP or help in the application process.

Farming Operation Changes: If you have bought or sold land, or if you have added or dropped rented land from your operation, make sure you report the changes to the office as soon as possible. You need to provide a copy of your deed or recorded land contract for purchased property.

Failure to maintain accurate records with FSA on all land you have an interest in can lead to possible program ineligibility and penalties. Making the record changes now will save you time in the spring. Update signature authorization when changes in the operation occur. Producers are reminded to contact the office of a change in operations on a farm so that records can be kept current and accurate.

That’s all for now,
FSA Andy

Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox

Next step: Check your inbox to confirm your subscription.



We are glad you have chosen to leave a comment. Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment policy.

Receive emails as this discussion progresses.