Retiring farmers can get additional CRP payments if helping new farmer


WASHINGTON — The USDA is offering a new Transition Incentives Program (TIP) to encourage retired or retiring farmers to transition their land to beginning or socially disadvantaged farmers or ranchers.

Producers who want to apply for the program can start signing up now.

If all program requirements are met, the new program provides annual rental payments to the retiring farmer for up to two additional years after the date of the expiration of the Conservation Reserve Program, or CRP, contract, provided the transition is not to a family member.

Eligibility. To be eligible, TIP requires that the retired or retiring farmer or rancher (link opens .pdf):

— Have land enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program— (CRP) that is in the last year of the contract.

— Agree to allow the beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher make conservation and land improvements.

— Agree to sell, or have a contract to sell, or agree to long-term lease (a minimum of five years) the land under CRP contract to a beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher by Oct. 1 of the year the CRP contract expires.

To learn more contact a USDA Farm Service Agency county office or visit


Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!



We are glad you have chosen to leave a comment. Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment policy.

Receive emails as this discussion progresses.