- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1-inch pieces asparagus spears or broccoli flowerets
- 2 cups milk
- 1 – 14-1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- 8 ounces red potatoes, cubed (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream
- In a large saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and stir to coat.
- Add the asparagus, milk, chicken broth, potatoes, salt and red pepper.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or just until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheddar cheese, tomato, and sour cream; stir until cheese is melted.
Makes 4 servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!