- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 pound halibut fillets (or another firm white fish)
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2-3 cups Purple Cabbage Slaw or shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut in quarters
- hot sauce
- plain, Greek yogurt
- Combine the oil, spices, salt, and garlic in the bowl or pie plate and mix well.
- Cut the fish into 1-inch strips, put them in the bowl, and use your fingers to coat them with the spice mixture. Set the fish aside.
- Heat the medium pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. One at a time, heat the tortillas on each side for about 30 seconds. Wrap them in a dish towel to keep warm.
- Put the large, nonstick pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Put the fish in the hot pan and cook for 3 minutes, then use the spatula to flip the pieces over. Cook on the other side until the fish breaks easily into flakes when you poke it with a fork, around 2 minutes.
- Give each person two tortillas and let everyone assemble the tacos with whatever ingredients they like.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!