- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour madeleine pans carefully (if you don’t have a madeleine pan, a mini-muffin pan will work).
- Melt butter and let it cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk eggs, sugar and salt together until thick, about 8 minutes.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest. Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour, rapidly but gently.
- Fold in butter gently, but make sure it does not settle to bottom.
- Quickly spoon mixture into prepared madeleine pans. Bake until golden, about 7 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool on racks.