- 6 to 8 ears fresh sweet corn
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Strip the kernels from the cooked corn. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and brush the insides of six 4-ounce ramekins.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the half and half, milk, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the corn.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins. Top each ramekin with onions. Bake the custards until set, about 25 to 30 minutes. The center may appear soft but will firm up as the custard cools.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before garnishing with chives and serving. Makes 6 servings.