- 1½ cups ground 93% lean ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup dry curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped (include tops)
- 1 teaspoon “light” or “reduced-sodium” seasoning blend
- 1 loaf round rye bread or French bread
- Combine margarine and dry curd cottage cheese in blender.
- Blend at a low speed until creamy.
- Be patient, it will take a few minutes, but don’t try to hasten it by adding liquid.
- In mixing bowl, combine ground ham, spinach, blended cottage cheese and margarine, yogurt, light mayonnaise, green onions and seasonings.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- With a sharp knife, cut top 1/3 off round rye loaf or French bread.
- Hollow out loaf, leaving a 1-inch thick shell.
- Cut remaining bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Store bread cubes and shell in plastic bags until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, toast bread shell in 400 degree oven for 8 minutes (this prevents the dip from soaking into bread shell).
- Place the ham and spinach mixture in the bread shell.
- Serve with reserved bread cubes and vegetables.
- Makes about 4½ cups dip.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!