Submitted by Mary Horst of Salem, Ohio
- 9 cups bread flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp. yeast
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 cup canola oil
- 5 cups hot water, divided
- In large measuring cup, place yeast 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 cup hot water. Whisk to dissolve yeast. Let set to rise.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Pull flour to sides of the bowl to form a ‘well’ in the middle.
- Into the ‘well,’ pour 4 cups hot water, maple syrup, oil and yeast mixture. Beat with electric mixer, pulling enough flour to make a slightly sticky dough. Cover and let rise until the sponge is to the top of the bowl.
- Grease hands with shortening; work in all flour and knead dough until soft. Cover and let rise until rounded over top of bowl.
- Punch dough down and divide into 5 loaves. Form and place into in greased bread pans. Let rise until nicely rounded over pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. You may adjust the ratio of bread flour to wheat flour to your liking. Also, with bread it is always best to add less flour and work more in as needed until your dough feels ‘just right.’ Honey could be used instead of maple syrup.