Ingredients for the topping:
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the cake:
- Softened butter, for baking pan
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus additional for the pan
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
Directions for the topping:
- Cook and stir the 10 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat until butter foams, begins to turn light brown and smells nutty. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Stir in browned butter until large crumbs form; set aside.
Directions for the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9×9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- Mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and orange zest in large bowl. Set aside.
- Cook and stir butter in skillet over medium heat until it foams, begins to turn brown, and smells nutty. Cool slightly.
- Combine egg, milk, orange juice, vanilla and browned butter in separate bowl. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Spread batter in prepared pan. (It will look like a small amount of batter.) Distribute the cranberries over batter, pressing them into batter slightly.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over cake, pressing down on it slightly. (This will be a very generous amount of crumbs.) Bake for about 50 minutes or until crumbs are golden and cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely in pan.