- 12 HARD-BOILED EGGS
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill OR chives
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 1 jar (16 oz.) beets
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
Crabmeat & fresh dill, small cooked shrimp & chives, smoked salmon, capers & chives, diced red bell peppers & Italian parsley, steamed asparagus tips (optional)
- Cut eggs lengthwise in half.
- Remove yolks to medium bowl.
- Rreserve 20 white halves.
- Finely chop remaining 4 white halves.
- Mash yolks with fork.
- Add finely chopped whites, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add dill; mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Drain beets, reserving juice (about 2/3 cup).
- Set beets aside for another use.
- Combine beet juice, water and vinegar.
- Arrange egg whites cut side down in shallow container.
- Pour beet mixture over eggs.
- Cover tightly.
- Refrigerate at least several hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove purple egg whites from beet mixture, pat dry with paper towels.
- Spoon 1 heaping tbsp. yolk mixture into each reserved egg white half.
- Garnish with toppers, as desired.