- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Sift the flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together twice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Fold in pumpkin. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan.
- Remove to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle top of cake with confectioners’ sugar.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!