- Softened butter, for the baking dish
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 11/2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 by 13‑inch baking dish with softened butter.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with one-third of the potatoes.
- Top with one-third of the onions and the garlic.
- Dot with 1 tablespoon of the butter and sprinkle with one-third of the crumbled bacon.
- Top with one-third each of the Gouda and Cheddar cheeses.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients in two more layers, ending with a layer of cheese on top.
- Whisk the cream, milk, and flour in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and return the dish to the oven. Continue to bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the top is browned and bubbling.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!