Venison Jalapeño-Cheddar Summer Sausage
- 3 pounds venison, ground
- 3 tablespoons tender quick
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 jalapeño peppers (or to taste), seeded and minced
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix the tender quick, water, mustard seed, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and liquid smoke together in a large bowl until the tender quick is dissolved. Add the ground venison, jalapeño peppers and cheese; mix well.
- Divide in half and roll into logs. Wrap tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 170°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Unwrap the sausage logs and place on the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for a few hours or until the internal temperature reads 165˚F.
- Cool to room temperature and dab excess oil. Slice and serve.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!