HARRISBURG, Pa. — Pa. Gov. Tom Corbett has established a dairy leadership council that will help ensure that state government meets the needs of Pennsylvania’s nearly $2 billion dairy industry.
The Pennsylvania Dairy Leadership Council, chaired by Agriculture Secretary George Greig, will make recommendations to the governor on policies, procedures, regulations and legislation that may aid in the development of the dairy industry.
The council will serve as a resource to all departments, commissions and agencies under the governor’s jurisdiction to ensure that they are aware of the issues surrounding the dairy industry.
The council will be charged with identifying key variables and short- and long-term critical issues for the dairy industry in the following areas: Dairy farm business profitability; environmental compliance for dairy operations; dairy cattle welfare; family and next generation dairy producer opportunities; U.S. farm bill and federal dairy policy; and Pennsylvania dairy policy.
The council, comprised of individuals representing all key dairy industry sectors, was created by executive order to coordinate the development and expansion of the dairy industry in Pennsylvania.
Pa. Dairy Council members
• Agriculture Secretary George Greig
• Jeff Ainslee, Lancaster Co., Red Barn Consulting, Inc.
• Rob Barley, Lancaster Co., Star Rock Dairy, Inc.
• Marvin Beshore, York Co., attorney
• Logan Bower, Perry Co., Pleasant View Farm
• Ted Bowers, Lancaster Co., Fulton Bank
• Lori Connelly, Dauphin Co., Land O’Lakes
• Bill Curley, Luzerne Co., agricultural economist
• Frank Day, Dauphin Co., The Hershey Company
• Mike Evanish, Cumberland Co., PA Farm Bureau
• Ed Gallagher, Onondaga Co., (N.Y.), DairyLea Coop.
• Dave Galligan, Chester Co., University of Pennsylvania
• Louis Galliker, Somerset Co., Galliker Dairy Company
• Glenn Gorrell, Bradford Co., Gorrell Dairy
• Abe Harpster, Huntingdon Co., Evergreen Farm
• Scott Kreider, Lancaster Co., S&A Kreider and Sons
• Walt Moore, Chester Co., Waltmoore Holsteins, Inc.
• Timothy Moury, Allegheny Co., All-Pak Inc., Qorpak Div.
• Alan Novak, Chester Co., Professional Dairy Managers of Pa.
• Todd Rutter, York Co., Rutter’s Dairy, Inc.
• Bob Schupper, Dauphin Co., Ahold, USA (Giant Foods)
• Paul Semmel, Lehigh Co., Excelsior Dairy Farm
• Gary Smith, Chester Co., Chester Co. Economic Dev. Co.
• Chuck Turner, Westmoreland Co., Turner Dairy Farms, Inc., Titusville Dairy Products Co.
• Chris Waddell, Crawford Co., Apple Shamrock Dairy Farms