- 3 cups penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup cooked diced chicken, 1/2″ pieces (4 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half
- 1 tablespoon enriched all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, low-moisture, part-skim, shredded (2 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well. Toss pasta with ½ teaspoon garlic.
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well. Sprinkle with remaining garlic.
- Transfer pasta and broccoli to a medium casserole dish (about 8” x 11”) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken. Mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix ½ cup half and half with flour. Whisk to remove lumps.
- In a medium skillet, heat chicken broth, salt, pepper, and remaining half and half. Stir constantly. Stir in half and half/flour mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Pour sauce over broccoli/pasta mixture.
- Cover casserole dish with lid or with foil. Bake at 350 °F for 8 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Remove from oven. Serve hot.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!