- 4 lb Rabbit [cut into 8 pieces, rinsed & patted dry]
- 8 md Red potatoes [quartered]
- 2-4 lg Cloves garlic
- 6 tb Olive oil
- 4 oz Slab bacon, [rind removed & cut into 1″ cubes]
- 6 tb Fresh rosemary leaves OR 2 tb Dried rosemary
- 2 ts Coarsely ground black pepper
- Coarse salt, to taste (optional)
- 6 Sprigs rosemary, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the potatoes and garlic cloves in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes and garlic are roasting, combine the bacon and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet, and place over low heat.
- Cook just until the bacon begins to wilt.
- Then remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, and set it aside.
- Sauté the rabbit, in batches if necessary, in the skillet, setting the pieces aside as they are browned.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the pan drippings.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven, and reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the rabbit, rosemary, pepper, coarse salt, reserved pan drippings, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the roasting pan with the potatoes and garlic.
- Toss thoroughly, and return the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the reserved bacon over the top, and bake until the meat is tender and the vegetables are golden, another 20 minutes.
- Arrange the mixture on a warmed platter, and garnish with the rosemary sprigs.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!