Submitted by: Dorothy Rhodes of Canfield, Ohio
“I first sent this recipe to Farm and Dairy when Ruth Henry was the recipe editor. That was back in 1969 when our children were toddlers. They loved it and so did my husband. I’m still making it for him, so it’s a keeper!” ~Dorothy Rhodes
Ingredients for Oatmeal Spice Cake:
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal, uncooked
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Ingredients for Broiled Icing:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. light cream
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup coconut
- Grease and flour a 9″ square or 7″ x 11-1/2″ pan.
- Pour water over oatmeal in a small pan. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat butter until creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugars.
- Blend in vanilla and eggs; stir in oats mixture.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to batter. Blend well and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes (9″ pan) or 44 minutes (7″ x 11-1/2″ pan). Leave cake in pan and dust with powdered sugar while warm, or cover with broiled icing.
Directions for Broiled Icing:
- Combine all ingredients. Spread over warm cake and broil until bubbly.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!