- 2 bell peppers (green, orange, yellow, or red)
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans no salt added
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce unsalted
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 3/4 cup cheese Mexican blend, reduced fat, shredded
- 1/4 cup water
- garnish (optional, for garnish)
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and scrape out the ribs and seeds. Dice the onion and measure a ¼ cup. In a bowl, combine the quinoa, beans, tomato sauce, spices, onion, and ½ cup of the cheese. Fill each pepper with the mixture. Pour ¼ cup water into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the peppers in the water. Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours or on high for about 2 hours or until quinoa is tender. Remove the lid, distribute the remaining cheese (¼ cup) on top of the peppers, and cover again until the cheese is melted. Add cilantro, then serve.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!