Submitted by: Rick Tytko – Brecksville, Ohio
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 1 cup steel cut-oats
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 2Tbsp. Butter, divided
- 3/4 tsp. Hot sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup cubed or sliced andouille
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 lb. Large Gulf shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 Tbsp. Wondra flour
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Fresh chopped thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- Bring water, chicken broth and sea salt to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in oats. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese, 1 tablespoon butter and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce. Keep warm.
- Cook sausage in oil in a large skillet 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserve drippings in skillet. Set sausage aside.
- Toss shrimp with flour. Saute shrimp in hot drippings 1 minute.
- Add reserved sausage, mushrooms, garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, thyme, green onion and tomato, stirring to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of skillet.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Serve over hot oatmeal. Makes 8 servings