- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small Dried New Mexican chili pepper, whole
- 1 1/4 cups Fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed 1/2″
- 6 cups Canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup Low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups Fresh Swiss chard
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Cook chili pepper and onions for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cumin and cook for 2 minutes..
- Add sweet potatoes, black beans, orange juice, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove chili pepper and discard.
- Add vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Remove stems from Swiss chard, chop and add to pot. Cover and continue cooking until Swiss chard is tender. Serve hot.
- May serve over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!