These fun DIY mason jar projects are great for the home or for gifts.
Mason jar melt-and-pour candles
I use fresh goat milk, but cow or soy milk substitutes. Antique jars also make cute candle containers.
1 lb beeswax candle block
1/8 cup milk
Wicks and holder tabs
6 (4oz) jars or 3 (8oz) jars
- Melt wax block and milk in a double boiler until mixture is melted and creamy, 160 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, warm oven and then turn off.
- Clean and dry jars. Secure holder and wick to bottom of jar with a dot of glue. Place in warm oven. Warming jars before pouring hot wax aids candle setting.
- Remove warm jars from oven. Pour hot wax into jars.
- As the wax cools the candle will solidify, holding wick in place. Adjust as required.
- Allow the candle to cool completely. Trim wick to 1/4 inch.
Mason jar meal: Spicy bean and rice soup
Mason jar meals are lifesavers when you’re short on dinner ideas. They also make great hostess gifts.
1 (32 oz) jar
2 small sandwich baggies
2 Tbsp beef base
2 Tbsp minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp coarse ground black pepper
½ cup rice
1 cup black beans
1 cup red beans
½ cup white beans
½ cup yellow beans
- Combine beef base and all seasonings in one baggie. Twist to tie.
- Measure rice into second baggie. Twist to tie.
- Layer black, red, yellow and white beans in jar.
- Add baggies to jar and seal.
To prepare soup:
1 (32 oz) Spicy Bean & Rice Soup Jar
1 Tbsp oil
- Wash and sort beans. Soak overnight. Rinse and drain well.
- Place beans in a large stockpot with oil and seasonings. Cover with 2 inches water.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer until beans are tender (2+ hours). Add additional hot water if required.
- Cook ½ cup rice with 1 cup water and a dash of salt in the microwave or on stovetop. Stir rice into soup prior to serving.
1 (32 oz) jar
Frog lid inserts (optional)
- Clean and dry jar.
- Ensure jar and paint are room temperature for spray-paint application.
- Turn jar upside-down on newspaper and spray paint.
- Top with frog lid insert if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!